» December 24 Birthday Wishes
by Tinhorn Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Share | 

Western-heavy John Doucette

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Orville Smith

PostSubject: Western-heavy John Doucette   Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:25 pm

I've seen John Doucette's appearances so many times on numerous tv programs that I've lost count.  Numerically at least, doesn't he surpass even Lee Van Cleef's appearances?  For that matter, even any other Western-heavy numerically?  I'm not sure, so I'm asking.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Yes, John Doucette --- who I personally knew --- did so many westerns (as well as many other types movies and TV shows including as a regular in an old non-western television series which title escapes me but starred Macdonald Carey) that it is hard to  get a complete list....some big parts, some smaller, but many movies and television shows.
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:50 am

Hi,
He was in the Western I saw this morning. One More Train To Rob with George Peppard.
In fact he turns up in Westerns, film And t.v.,that I watch, virtually every week. A great actor.Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:13 am

You can check his numbers, and those of other actors, at imdb.com.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Like all of you, I've watched John Doucette play so many Sheriffs, Marshals, Deputys, Gang Leaders, Ruffians, Henchmen that we almost forget the man was a really good actor. If you don't believe it, just look at the part he played as the sympathetic Undertaker in The Sons Of Katie Elder. Doucette appeared 11 times on The Lone Ranger from 1949-1955 along with episodes of Kit Carson, The Gene Autry Show, Annie Oakley, The Range Rider and every t.v. western you can think of. He also appeared as (uncredited) in Winchester 73, Broken Arrow, High Noon along with the great Victor Mature film, The Robe. Although there are many of our age group that may not know his name, you can bet they remember his face and that deep gravelly voice.
Tom, on his I.M.D.b resume, it once again lists him as the fastest man in Hollywood with a six gun. I'd sure like to know where that rumor got started.

Incidentally, that series you're thinking of was called Lockup and ran from 1959-1961.

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:36 pm

John was a great actor and became, in my opinion, one of the top character actors when he got older.....but one thing John was not, and that was the fastest gun in Hollywood. That would have to go more likely to someone like Arvo  Ojala or Rod Red Wing.....BUT John was in the movie, "The Fastest Gun Alive"... Smile
Back to top Go down
Orville Smith

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:02 am

To Tom: You said that you knew Mr. Doucette personally. How did that come about? And what about any unusual or memorable experiences with him. I'm sure you must have some memorable things to recount. By all means, please share.
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 am

Hi, John Doucette was in another Western I watched today. QUINCANNON, FRONTIER SCOUT.He was the best Actor in it.
Not a great Western by any means but like all 50's Westerns very enjoyable even if TONY MARTIN wasn't much of an Actor, plus it had PEGGIE CASTLE in it. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:45 pm

John Doucette was among our favorite actors ever since we learned his name when we were kids watching a halfhour television western episode titled "Night Ride to Butte." Before that we knew his face and enjoyed his work, but did not know his name. Thirty years later my brother Jim and I began interviewing over 160 actors for a series of books that we wrote and became friends with some of them, John Doucette being one of them. We visited with him several times at his home and remained in contact with him until he passed away. Besides being a great character actor, John was a very humble, nice, religious person who shared some very interesting stories with us including his yearlong tour around the country in a play with a cast headed by Nae West and featured two fellow western character actors Don C. Harvey and Allen Nixon. He also mentioned that he was a private in Patton's army and then became a general in the George C. Scott movie on Patton. He enjoyed riding his motorcycle and told us that he and Lane Bradford used to race their motorcycles to work. He also did not look at negative things but had a positive outlook on life. He enjoyed his career in films and raised a large family of wonderful children. When in between his film work he had a restaurant. He shared with us a couple of records that he made, one called "The Last Running" which was a story of three Indians that go to a white man's ranch in Texas to hunt one last time the buffalo as they used to do. The record ends with one ranch hand saying to another, "Didn't we have a world once." John looked at us and said, "That says it all. How beautiful." John loved the westerns he worked in, saying "In the westerns I felt like I was  out west in those times. With the costume, how could you miss." His favorite type of film was comedy. "I didn't care what I had to do to make people laugh; if I had to fall down, walk into a wall, spit or punch somebody out. I'd do t to make them laugh, to make them happy and that's why I always loved comedy, because it does that. It brings everybody out of the everyday doldrums. You're giving of yourself, and that's a great satisfaction." And that is the type of guy John Doucette was and my brother and I are honored to be his friend..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Western-heavy John Doucette   

Back to top Go down

Western-heavy John Doucette
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1