AuthorMessage
Manco

PostSubject: November 10 Birthday Wishes   Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Russell Johnson [1924 - ]
Russell Means [1939 - 2012]
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: November 10 Birthday Wishes   Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Russell Johnson was a contract player at Universal in the 1950s, playing in Westerns like Law and Order (with Ronald Reagan) Tumbleweed, and Ride Clear of Diablo (both with Audie Murphy), and Sci-fi movies like It Came from Outer Space and This Island Earth, as well as episodes of several TV shows. But he's best known as Professor Roy Hinkley from the series Gilligan's Island.

Russell Means was a Sioux activist and actor who played Chingachgook in The Last of the Mohicans in 1994, Jim Thorpe in Windrunner: A Spirited Journey, Sitting Bull in Buffalo Girls, and was the voice of Powhatan in Disney's Pocahontas and Pocahontas II. He passed away a few weeks ago, and his obit can found in the People who Passed Away thread.

Also today:
Claude Rains (1889-1967) was a British actor, not really thought of as a Western actor, though he did appear in episodes of Rawhide and Wagon Train. He first came to fame in 1933's The Invisible Man, and later as Prince John in The Adventures of Robin Hood, Sen. Paine in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Lon Chaney Jr's father Sir John Talbot in The Wolf Man, Capt. Louis Renault in Casablanca, The Phantom in 1945's Phantom of the Opera, Alexander Sebastian in Notorious, and King Herod in The Greatest Story Ever Told. He was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar 4 times (for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Casablanca, Notorious, and Mr. Skeffington). He died from abdominal hemorrhage at the age of 77.

Norma Crane (1928-1973) was a member of Elia Kazan's Actor's Studio, and appeared in the films Tea and Sympathy, Fiddler on the Roof, and They Call Me MISTER Tibbs!,as well as TV shows like Mr. Peepers, Zane Grey Theater, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Peter Gunn, Riverboat, The Untouchables, Have Gun Will Travel, and Gunsmoke. She died of breast cancer at the age of 44.

Pippa Scott (1935-) made her debut in The Seachers as Lucy Edwards, and played Molly Woods in the 1st season of The Virginian. She made numerous TV appearances in Have Gun Will Travel, The Outlaws, Gusnsmoke, The Fugitive, Wagon Train, Gomer Pyle, Perry Mason, and other TV shows until 1984, and made a come back in 2009 in the movie Footprints. She was married 19 tears (1964-1983) to Lee Rich, the founder of Lorimar Productions.
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: November 10 Birthday Wishes   Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:35 am

Also born on November 10:Maestro Ennio Morricone, who composed the music
for Sergio Leone's westerns and so many more films. Truly one of the
greatest film composers ever! BTW, lovers of fine vocal music may want
to check out the disc So In Love by the superb Italian jazz singer
Roberta Gambarini, which contains a medley of two Morricone pieces from
Cinema Paradiso, sung, like most of the other songs on the album, in English. I saw Ms. Gambarini in person last Sunday at the venerable DC jazz mecca Blues Alley and she gave, as usual, a magnificent performance. I'd seen her about five times before but never in a club setting - there she was on the same little stage on which I'd seen the real Art Pepper in 1981, resplendent in a shimmery little black dress, just a few feet away, bopping and crooning for a wonderful hour and a half.

Well, I'm getting carried away. Anyhow, my wife was there with me and she loves Roberta too, though maybe not in such a multi-faceted way.

Happy Birthday to all the others mentioned above too, be they still on the Earth or in the hereafter. Pippa Scott should have had a better career... but unfortunately when I think of her I remember how her character suffered one of the lamest write-offs in TV history, shot down in a scene (and episode) in which she did not appear at all (in Season 2 of The Virginian).

Russell Means had a strong presence, particularly in Last of the Mohicans. When my daughter was little sometimes I used Means's "Powhatan voice" from Disney's Pocahontas to issue especially forceful orders or admonitions: "Daughter, you have spilled precious water!" Ah, those were the days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 10 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

November 10 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1