Milburn Stone [1904 - 1980]

Warren Oates [1928 - 1982]

Tommy Cook [1930 - ]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 5 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Howdy Manco!!

Milburn Stone began his film career in 1935, oftern appearing uncredited, untill 1939, when he snagged a recurring role in the adventure series, Tailspin Tommy.
He was cast in literally dozens of films between 1940-1955, like White Feather, The Long Grey Line, including detective, war and romance films, such as I'll Remember April. It was in 1955, when C.B.S deciced to turn it's hit radio program Gunsmoke into a t.v. series that Milburn Stone landed the role of his lifetime. He became the beloved .Dr Galen (Doc) Adams on the longest running westerns series ever. Milburn stayed with the series for it's entire 20 year run. A bit of trivia about Milburn Stone. The rest of the cast, James Arness, Amanda Blade, Dennis Weaver and Ken Curtis nicknamed him "Millie". A name which he didn't care for!!

If there was a dictionary, in which you could look up a picture for the definition of a word, under the word cowboy/western actor would be a picture of Warren Oates!! He began his career by appearing on many of the t.v. westerns of the 50's, like Wanted, Dead Or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel, Trackdown and several roles on the popular series, The Rifleman It was there he met Sam Peckinpah and so began a friendship and association that would last the rest of Oates' short life.
He would go on to appear in several Peckinpah films like, Major Dundee, The Wild Bunch and Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. He also was cast in Welcome To Hard Times, The Hired Hand, Yellowstone Kelly, There Was A Crooked Man, Barquero and many more. He performed in other roles in other genre, like Blue Thunder and Tough Enough, but it is for his many western roles that Warren Oates will be best remembered for.

Tommy Cook first showed up on the Red Ryder radio show back in the 30's as L'il Beaver. When Republic Studios decided to turn it into a film series starring Don"Red" Barry, Tommy Cook was selected to play his sidekick (L'Il Beaver) in the 12 film adventure series. He also starred as Kimba, the jungle boy in Tarzan And The Leopard Woman, with Johnny Weissmuller and The Jungle Girl. Alas, like most child actors, it is difficult to made the transition to adult actor and Tommy Cook's career became that of a character actor in many of the t.v. series during the 60's, 70's and 80's, like Rat Patrol. Streets Of San Francisco, The Deputy, Hart To Hart etc. Tommy Cook did his last acting in 1983.

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 5 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Tommy Cook has spent much of his adult life as, (which one I forget) a golf or tennis pro....I think it is Tennis.
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: July 5 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm

I watched the movie Arrowhead recently, which features Milburn Stone as a civilian cavalry scout. Probably the only thing I've seen him in beside Gunsmoke.

One of the first movies I'd seen starring Warren Oates was Dillinger, with him as John Dillinger and Ben Johnson as G-Man Melvin Purvis. Looking at a photo of John Dillinger and Warren Oates in the movie... the resemblence is uncanny! Another movie I liked him in was Stripes as Bill Murray's drill sergeant.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 5 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Milburn Stone also had a nice part of a cavalryman in "Smoke Signal"...he sort of runs afoul of his commanding officer William Talman which leads to dire circumstances for Stone. The first teleplay my brother Ray ever sold was The Saga of Benjamin Brown as a Gunsmoke episode. Producer John Mantley really liked the script; they hired Richard Kiley to play Benjamin Brown, but it was never filmed. The lead regular character would have been Milburn Stone's Doc Adams, but Stone had his heart attack and wasn't up to doing the part as it was called for so the episode was canceled. We just a couple of days ago watched Milburn play an obnoxious carpetbagger district attorney seeking political office in John Ford's "The Sun Shines Bright", which had John Russell in one of the star parts. A good one with that John Ford touch to it.
Just watched Warren Oates yesterday play one of his nasty characters in an episode of Wanted Dead or Alive. He escaped from prison and was seeking revenge on Constance Ford, who had testified against him at trial. Her cowardly husband, lawyer Ross Elliott, hired Josh Randall to protect his wife, but in the end proves he does have courage in helping save McQueen from Warren Oates. A good episode titled "The Last Retreat."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 5 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

July 5 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1