PostSubject: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am

Eric Fleming [1925 - 1966]

Stephen Boyd [1931 - 1977]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Howdy Manco!!

Eric Fleming served during WW II as a Seabee. He was severely injured during a construction job and received severe lacerations to his face. After extensive plastic surgery, he began his career in stage plays and was cast in 2 low budget horror films, Curse Of The Undead and Queen Of Outer Space with Zsa Zsa Gabor. I've seen it and it was really hokey!! At any rate, these films led to his being cast as trail boss Gil Favor, opposite Clint Eastwood in the long running t.v. series, Rawhide. After leaving the Rawhide series, Fleming was cast opposite Doris Day in The Glass Bottom Boat. He next signed on to star in the t.v. series, High Jungle, which was being filmed in Peru. It was during scouting for locations, that Fleming's canoe tipped over and his remains were found several days later, down river. The cover story was that he drowned, although Tom Goldrup was told by someone associated wih the production, that he fell into a school of Piranha (a carnivorous fish). This handsome, 6 foot 3&1/2 inch actor, died in Tingo Maria, Peru at the young age of 41.

Stephen Boyd first gained attention in the British spy thriller, The Man Who Never Was. This film led to his being cast in The Bravados with Gregory Peck. This handsome British actor with the chiseled features and curly hair, proved that he could play a villain to the hilt. Because of this, he was cast as Messala, in the 1959 epic Ben Hur, with Charleton Heston. This film gained him international attention and opened the doors to stardom for Boyd. He was offered the role of Mark Antony in the 60's classic, Cleopatra, with Elizabeth Taylor, but turned it down to appear in The Fall Of The Roman Empire. He was next cast in The Bible, In The Beginning, Genghis Khan, Fantastic Voyage and the Western, Shalako with Sean Connery. He also appeared in a Spaghetti Western with Richard Crenna titled A Man Called Noone, which was a pretty good film as I recollect. Like Eric Fleming, fate had other plans for Stephen Boyd. He died of a heart attack, while playing golf, at the age of 45.

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Stephen Boyd had a short but crazy career. From The Bravados to Ben-Hur to The Fall of the Roman Empire to Shalako, Boyd filled in with a lot of TV work, my favorite being a TV movie he made with Richard Pryor, Rosy Greer, Robert Hooks, and Billy Dee Williams and others in 1970. Its original title was Carter's Army (the name of his character) but has been renamed for most video as Black Brigade.
Back to top Go down
Art Pepper

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

"Head 'em up... move 'em out." I've been watching "Rawhide" now and then since Encore Westerns began showing it (again?) this year, and it's been nice to get re-acquainted with Eric Fleming.

Nightlinger, I haven't seen Carter's Army in decades, but I recall it being much better than the average movie of the week. I've liked Robert Hooks since "NYPD." (Just looked at the listing on imdb and saw that Richard Pryor's character was named Private Jonathan Crunk.)

Also born on Independence Day: Eva Marie Saint, notable (Western-wise) for The Stalking Moon, and Otis Young of "The Outcasts."
Back to top Go down
saddlepal

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi All,
For anyone interested I have a BBC documentary about the life of Stephen Boyd who was from Northern Ireland and a good watch it is. I also have a documentary about people from Northern
Ireland who made it in Hollywood another interesting watch. I just got a print of a movie called THE CURSE OF THE UNDEAD starring Eric Fleming, I haven't watched it yet buy MICHAEL PATE,
BRUCE GORDON, EDWARD BINNS and KATHLEEN CROWLEY also feature in it. It's a horror /western but it might be worth a look as well. As soon as I view it I'll let you know what I think of it. The print is decent as it is a tape transferred to disc and it must be rare. GERARD.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 pm

I have a nice VHS of Curse of the Undead.....Michael Pate plays a vampire out to get Kathleen Crowley. Eric Fleming is the minister (or was it priest?) who has to confront the evil Pate. Bruce Gordon & Edward Binns are rival ranchers. I liked it.
I always admired Stephen Boyd's talent as an actor. He died way too young.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 4 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

July 4 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1