Bernard Hermann [1911 - 1975]

Slim Pickens [1919 - 1983]

Gary Busey [1944 - ]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 29 Birthday Wishes   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:39 am

Howdy Manco!!

Bernard Hermann was one of the most prolific composers of film scores in Hollywood. He actually conducted the orchestra for Orson Wells for the live, 1930 radio broadcast of War Of The Worlds. He would go on to compose the music for many notable films, such as Psycho, Garden Of Evil, Vertigo, The Kentuckian, Citizen Kane, North By Northwest,Cape Fear and many others. He also composed the theme music for The Twilight Zone and Have Gun Will Travel. He worked with several notable directors during his career, such as Orson Wells, Alfred Hitchcock and Martin Scorcese. He won the Academy Award for his score of The Devil And Daniel Webster. His last work was the score for The Taxi Driver for Scorcese.

Slim Pickins was one of the last of the real cowboys. He had been a rodeo performer for 20 years, when he was cast in the 1950, Errol Flynn film, Rocky Mountain. He went on to become Rex Allen's sidekick in his B-western films. After appearing in The Sheepman with Glenn Ford and One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando, both as villains, I suppose it was the Peter Sellers film, .Dr Strangelove that first gained Slim Pickins National attention, as the pilot of the B-52, Major (King) Kong, who rode the nuclear bomb to oblivion. This film, more than any other launched the career of, what is without a doubt, one of the top 5 greatest character actors ever in Hollywood. He started appearing in major Hollywood films, like Will Penny, The Cowboys, Major Dundee, Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid, The Getaway. Blazing Saddles, The Sacketts and Tom Horn. Equally adept at playing drama or comedy, he also had recurring roles on the t.v. series, Daniel Boone and Custer. As for what role he will be best remembered for, I have no clue. Each of his millions of fans will have to make that decision. One of the best of the best, who died much too young, at the age of 64.

I guess I first saw Gary Busey in the 70's comedy film, D.C. Cab, in which he uttered the hilarious line" I don't work on January 6th, cuz that's Elvis' birthday". Not thought of as a western actor,Busey made his first appearances in film on the t.v. series, Kung Fu and Gunsmoke. He accepted a role in the Barbara Streisand film, A Star Is Born and was on his way to stardom. He next showed up in The Buddy Holly Story, Dirty Little Billy,Barbarossa, Silver Bullet, and in 1987, his career took off again with his role of the psychotic former military special services killer in Lethal Weapon. Next he did Predator 2 and in 1998, another hit with Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. Somewhere about this time, Busey had a motorcycle accident that seems to have changed his personality, as he's had several scrapes with the authorities,( posession of cocaine, spousal abuse). Nevertheless, Busey's career is still alive and well and he seems to be making one film after another,

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: June 29 Birthday Wishes   Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Bernard Hermann is pat of an elite fraternity of great film composers, along with Max Steiner, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, and John Williams. A brilliant composer, and his work with Hitchcock proves it.

I really like Slim Pickens. My favorite Slim Pickens roles are in Dr. Strangelove, Blazing Saddles, and in the Episodes of Bonanza where he and Hoss beat the tar out of each other. He was perfect casting in the remake of Stagecoach as the driver Buck, a role originally played by Andy Divine.

I first heard of Gary Busey when he played the lead role in The Buddy Holly Story. A good actor, but like Ed said, he's had a lot of problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 29 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

June 29 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1