Gail Patrick (1911-1980)

Audie Murphy (1925-1971)

Martin Landau (1928-)
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 20 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Howdy Tinhorn!!

What more can be said about Errol Flynn, that hasn't already been written?? This swashbuckling romantic actor/author from the '30's-50's.
First appearing in the 1933 film, The Wake Of The Bounty., he was spotted by a Warner Brothers executive and signed to a contract. He would go on to make Captain Blood, The Adventures Of Robin Hood, The Charge Of The Light Brigade, Dodge City, They Died With Their Boots On and several other action films of note. His films are legendary for the sword fight sequences in them. He was Australian born, but became a naturalized American Citizen in the early 40's. Criticized for not enlisting in the armed forces during WWII, he wasn't accepted. because of his many health problems and was classified 4-F. He penned the novel, My Wicked, Wicked Ways. His hard drinking life eventually caught up with him and he died at the young age of 50, in 1959.

Gail Patrick appeared in over 60 films, between 1932-1948. Often cast as the opponent of the leading lady, she had roles in several films of note, such as To The Last Man and Wagon Wheels with Randolph Scott. She also appeared in My Favorite Wife with Cary Grant and My Man Godfrey with Carol Lombard. Gail retired from acting in 1948 and became a producer of the 50's Perry Mason t.v. series.

We've talked about Audie Murphy many times on the forum. Born in Texas, a member of the greatest generation, one of the most recognized soldiers of WWII and considered to be the most highly decorated U.S. soldier to emerge from WWII. He was living in a Y.M.C.A. in Los Angeles after the war and after being recognized by a Hollywood executive, he was placed in his guest house and sent to acting school. Audie appeared in 44 movies during his film career. Most of them were what we refer to as B-westerns like Six Black Horses, The Texican, Arizona Rangers, The Quick Gun and too many more to list here. He starred in the story of his war experiences in the 1955 film, To Hell And Back and along with Burt Lancaster, Doug McClure and Audrey Hepburn, Audie proved that he really was a quality actor in the film, The Unforgiven. With his career waning in the late 60's and early 70's, Audie was looking into real estate in Roanoke Virginia, when he was killed in a single engine plane crash at the age of 46, in1971. Audie left his wife with many debts and she dedicated the rest of her life to paying them off while working at a Veterans Hospital in California, in his memory. I was working the ramp for Piedmont Airlines in Asheville N.C., when Audie's casket was shipped back to Los Angeles on Flight 49 from Roanoke. I shall never forget the Honor Guard, who was traveling with Audie's remains, who deplaned and stood guard at the bin, while we unloaded and loaded the Boeing 737-200 that night. I remember looking at the flag draped coffin in the separate bin. Audie is now interred at Arlington National Cemetary and his tombstone bears the Congressional Medal Of Honor seal.

Martin Landau has been around since the early 50's and yet, it's still boggles the mind, that he is 84 years old today. First appearing in a bit part in Pork Chop Hill, he next showed up in the Cary Grant thriller, North By Northwest. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Tucker, The Man And His Dream, Crimes And Misdemeanors and finally won for Best Supporting Actor for his role of Bela Lugosi in the film, Ed Wood. He has appeared in several westerns like Stagecoach To Dancers Rock, Nevada Smith and his role of the wacky Indian in The Hallelujah Trail. Landau has also continued to make t.v. appearances on The Big Valley, The Twilight Zone, The Simpsons and many others during his long career. I will remember him best for his role of Rollin Hand( the master of disguise) on the long running t.v. series, Mission Impossible.

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: June 20 Birthday Wishes   Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Bette Davis didn't like Errol Flynn when they were cast in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex. She didn't consider him a "real" actor, and the relation between the two was so strained on the set that she slapped him a bit too hard during the filming of a scene in the movie. But that movie proved he could do drama, and not just action.

And Ed, I agree with you on Audie Murphy's performance in The Unforgiven. In my opinion, that's the best performance of his career.

I first saw Martin Landau as the master of disguise Roland Hand on Mission: Impossible. Later he had the role as the commander of Moonbase Alpha on Space 1999. But he appeared in some very good movies like North By Northwest, Nevada Smith, and Tucker: A Man and His Dream. He won an Oscar for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 20 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

June 20 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1