Mildred Natwick (1905-1994)

Harry Lauter (1914-1990)

Pat Buttram (1915-1994)

Gena Rowlands (1930-)
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 19 Birthday Wishes   Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Harry Lauter was one of those great performers who could play both sides of the law with equal grace. He co-starred as Texas Ranger Clay Morgan in the tv series of Tales of the Texas Rangers, and as Preston Foster's son in the series, Waterfront. He worked opposite A-western stars like Joel McCrea & Randolph Scott and B-western stars like Gene Autry & Rex Allen. His western television shows are legion, including Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, the Range Rider, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Annie Oakley, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Have Gun-Will Travel, Rifleman, The Virginian, Rawhide, Lawman, Cheyenne, Gunsmoke, High Chaparrel, & many more. He also worked in many non-westerns and serials. A well-rounded professional. He and his wife, Doris, were also accomplished artists. Harry told Jim and I one day when we were visiting him that he liked playing the heavy. "I love the heavy, and I love the reaction I get from people," he said. "They ask me, 'Why are you so mean on the screen? You're not a mean guy at all.' I had a very hard time for many years because if we were in a small town and I went into a bar, I invariably got chosen by some guy who had a few drinks and would say, 'Saw you beat up Roy Rogers last night. Just how tough are you?' I'd say, 'Look, I'm a lover. Let's have a drink.' And we'd have a drink and we're all buddies. I guess that's a compliment, but it's a hard way to get it. Most of the people I know that played really nasty heavies .. Bob Wilke is one of them, and Mickey Simpson was another, but they are the nicest guys in the world." Harry Lauter was a true professional and one of the really nice guys that Jim and I had the pleasure to have known.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 19 Birthday Wishes   Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Mildred Natwick was both a stage and screen actress. Her first appearance in film was John Ford's, The Long Voyage Home, with John Wayne. She appeared in several more of Ford's films with the Duke like, 3 Godfathers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and The Quite Man. She was also in Cheaper By The Dozen, The Trouble With Harry and was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance in Barefoot In The Park. Mildred also appeared in the t.v. series, McMillan And Wife and Family.

In a career that spanned from 1930-1979, Harry Lauter was one of the most prolific character actors in Hollywood. He played lawmen, cattle rustlers, bank and stagecoach robbers, police detectives and everything in between. There isn't much to add to what Tom said, except that Harry was never really the star of films and the t.v. series he did. He was a co-star on Tales Of The Texas Rangers, but the one film that he played the lead role in, that comes to mind, was an old b/w western titled Convict Stage. He played a gunslinger on the vengeance trail.
Happy Birthday Harry and thanks for all the great memories!!

Pat Buttram first showed up as Roy Rogers sidekick in the 40's, but since ole Roy already had 2 other sidekicks, he was soon dropped and in 1940, he made his screen debut in Strawberry Roan with Gene Autry. He would go on to appear in over 40 films with Autry and when Gene took on the t.v. show" The Gene Autry Show", he chose Pat Buttram as a co-host. Pat appeared in over 100 episodes with Gene. Pat also did voice work on many Disney Studios animated films, like The Fox And The Hounds, Robin Hood and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. One of his last appearances, was a cameo in the movie, Back To The Future III, in which, along with Dub Taylor, he was one of several ole barflies. As many westerns as Pat did, I think he will be best remembered for his role of .Mr Haney, on the C.B.S. sitcom Green Acres, with Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor. When C.B.S. cancelled several t.v. series with rural themes, including Green Acres in 1971, Pat made the comment that" C.B.S. cancelled everything that had a tree , including Lassie".

In the late 50's, Gena Rowlands was what young men thought every American 'girl next door" should look like. Making her first screen appearance in 1958, she would marry John Cassavettes and would make 10 films with her husband, like A Woman Under The Influnce,( for which she was nominated for an Academy Award) Gloria, The Tempest and others. She remained married to Cassavettes for 35 years, until his death in 1985. She also co-starred in Lonely Are The Brave, with Kirk Douglas. Some of her recent films include, The Notebook The Skeleton Key and The Betty Ford Story. During the 50's and 60's, she also made several guest star appearances on t.v. series, like Bonanza, Johnny Staccato. The Viginian and Target. Personally, I will remember her best for her 58-59 role of the deaf-mute wife of Robert Lansing on the t.v. series, 87TH Precinct.
It's hard to believe that she's 82 years old.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 19 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

June 19 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1