Denver Pyle [1920 - 1997]

Frank Wolff [1928 - 1971]

Doug McClure [1935 - 1995]
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: May 11 Birthday Wishes   Fri May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Howdy Manco!!

Dick Curtis was a character actor, who because of his looks, was usually cast as a villain. He appeared in The Lone Ranger, Range Rider and several other western films and because he had a flair for comedy, will probably be best remembered for the films he did with the 3 Stooges, like The Tooth Will Out, You Nasty Spy etc. Curtis along with Russell Hayden were the inspiration for building Pioneertown, where many westerns were filmed.

Kent Taylor was a 40's and 50's leading man in films and t.v. He appeared in The Iron Sheriff, The Daltons Ride Again, Ft Bowie and over 110 films in all. He will be best remembered for his pencil thin mustache and the lead roles in the t.v. series Boston Blackie and Rough Riders.

Doodles Weaver was a actor/comedian, who appeared in over 90 films, such as The Great Imposter, The Birds and It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. He was also the brother of comedian Pat Weaver and the uncle Of Sigourney Weaver.

Denver pyle was always one of my favorite actors. He could play good guy, villain, comedic roles, you name it, Denver could do it. He appeared in a couple of John Ford's westerns, like The Horse Soldiers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and innumerable other westerns films. He may be best remembered as Uncle Jesse on the 80's t.v. show, The Dukes Of Hazard, but I will always remember him best as the patriarch of the Darlin clan on the ole Andy Griffith show.

Frank Wolff was a versatile actor, who got his start in several of Roger Corman's B-films. like The Wasp Women. He then moved to Europe, where he appeared in several spaghetti westerns, such as GOD Forgives-I Don't, One Dollar Is Too Many and Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West.

Doug McClure may not be my favorite western hero, but he is cetainly my all time favorite cowboy!!!!!!!!!!!! This blonde good looking leading man, with the irrepressible smile made a living out of being eternally 30 years old. I first saw him in a Twilight Zone episode, titled .Mr Denton On Doomsday with Dan Duryea as a young blonde gunslinger, dressed all in black. He next appeared in Overland Trail with William Bendix. He appeared in over 30 films, like The Enemy Below, Beau Geste and Shenandoah. He then took on the role for which he will always be remembered, as Trampas on the long running t.v. series, The Virginian.

Happy Birthday Trampas, ole pard!!

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Fri May 11, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: May 11 Birthday Wishes   Fri May 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Doodles Weaver used to do a character on Spike Jones' show called Professor Feetlebaum, that would talk in spoonerisms (where he would mix up words), as heard on Spike Jones' version of The Man on the Flying Trapeze. He was also the guy doing play by play on the horse race in the Spike Jones version of The William Tell Overture (which is full of puns like "Cabbage by a head, Banana coming up through the bunch, and Mother-In-Law nagging at the rear") and the Indy 500 on Spike's Dance of the Hours. And I have to correct Ed: Pat Weaver wasn't a comedian, but was an advertising executive who was the president of NBC from 1953 to 1955, who helped usher in the networks change from radio to television, and was the creator of the Today show.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: May 11 Birthday Wishes   Fri May 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Howdy Tinhorn!!

Well, I guess I had another brain cramp!! I assumed Doodles brother was Cliff "Charlie Weaver" Arquette, who used to appear on the ole Hollywood Squares show.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: May 11 Birthday Wishes   Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Speaking of Charley Weaver, Cliff Arquette was a Civil War buff, and in the 1950's he opened the Charley Weaver Museum in Gettysburg (I remember passing by it on a field trip when I was in elementary school in the early '70s). It was located in the building that was Gen. O.O. Howard's headquarters during the Battle of Gettysburg. It is now known as the Soldiers National Museum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 11 Birthday Wishes   

Back to top Go down

May 11 Birthday Wishes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1