Share | 

Lone Ranger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Lone Ranger   Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just read that the new Lone Ranger movie will commence filming in February of 2012 and be released in May of 2013. Johnny Depp and others have reduced their salaries to make this film change from an on again, off again project to a full blown "on again" project. New Mexico will be the first filming location. Unknown what else is planned at this time. Depp indicates that the character of Tonto will not be portrayed as a second class person and looks forward to what he thinks will be a fun movie. Guess all of that remains to be seen and hopefully the finished product won't be something to make most or all of us groan. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Sounds like whoever made that story up had been imbibing in quite a bit of OLD CROW!!
Which reminds me of a joke!! Sumpthin about the English translation of Kemo Sabay. I believe it means Crawlin Drunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Has anyone purchased The Lone Ranger DVD set that has all of season one and season two episodes? I believe it is 13 DVD's plus a few bonus items in the mix. Currently on Amazon for $19.99 and I believe when first released a couple of years ago, the price was much higher. The reviews posted on Amazon are all over the map, mostly favorable. Anyone here own this set and have a review to submit as to audio/visual quality and whether in their opinion episodes are complete and uncut? Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Bullfrog,
I have the Lone Ranger DVD set and i'm really pleased with it. The picture quality is excellent and I don't think they're cut down. You also get an 88 page book, rare comic book and photo reprints and a season 1 and 2 episode guide. All in all a real quality DVD set. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Bronco: Thanks for the info. Sounds like a winner and will add to my next Amazon order. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Cole Thornton

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 pm

This Lone Ranger interpretation gets weirder and weirder. Unless I am wrong, this Armie Hammer plays "Prince Charming" in the live action Snow White flick now playing nationwide, "Mirror Mirror", with Julie Roberts as the evil queen with the bad apples. Seems both the LR AND Tonto are nut jobs in bruckheimer's world. I really have to ask myself if I want to pay money to see this thing.

Oh, BTW, if anyone out there has anything like diabetes, and thinks being a John Wayne about it is the way to go (i.e. blowing off the dangers and thinking you can self medicate and get the job done), I suggest you don't. I have just been taught a hard lesson about that by spending 3 weeks in the hospital and losing my right foot. Found that sometimes insulin has much more potency than Neosporin and hydrogen peroxide, and gangrene is tougher than I am. Wondering if I should now change my handle to "Hopalong", LOL!!!!!!!! Be good, guys. Bill
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Cole, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Good to see you have a good attitude about it. I don't know if I could be so flipent. Stay on your meds so you can be around a whole lot longer.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Howdy Cole!!

Pard, I'm sorry to hear about your recent problems with diabetes. Both my wife and my sister have it. My wife has type II and tries to control it with Glucovance and my sister has type I and like you, has to take insulin injections. This lousy disease is a freakin nightmare. It can cause Blindness, kidney failure and a host of other problems, not to mention the problem with healing, that you've just experienced. It is great to hear that you're in good spirits. Pard, you probably havn't had time to look into prosthetic devices yet, but I've seen soldiers returning from Iraq, missing lower limbs and with the cutting edge technology in these devices today, I've seen men with these new prosthetics outrun others with 2 good legs under them, due to the rebound effect of these new devices. Just thought I'd mention it, to give you something to think about. It's so good to hear from you and have you back on the forum again, pard. Keep your spirits up and keep us appraised of how you're doing.

Yore Pard

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Cole: Sorry to hear about the diabetes and losing your foot. You have a great attitude considering the circumstances. Follow Doctor's orders, take the necessary meds and combining that with the good wishes and prayers from your pards and you'll be exchanging words of wisdom around the forum campfire for a long time. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Bill (Cole). My sister-in-law had the same thing happen to her several years back. Take care & God bless, Tom.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 am

Cole, I'm so sorry to hear about this, and please know my thoughts and best wishes are with you. Your attitude is nothing short of inspirational, and will see you through this difficult time.

Iain
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin

PostSubject: respect   Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 am

Bill/Cole,
You have my utmost respect Pard,I cant add anymore to what the rest of the Pards have so graciously said,
ALL THE VERY BEST Bill,you are a true PARD/FRIEND,Nathan will be proud.
Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Bill,
I'm so sorry to hear of you losing your foot.You seem to have a really positive attitude. You're a glass half full kinda guy.Regards Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Good to see that your keeping a good attitude toward this.....I don't know if I could do as well....my Grandmom and mother in law both had Type I and thankfully this did not happen to them......I have nothing but good wishes and prayers for you ......Very Happy
Back to top Go down
saddlepal

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:17 pm

HI BILL,
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL CONDITION, I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES SO I HAVE SOME KIND OF UNDERSTANDING. I HOPE THINGS IMPROVE FOR YOU AND REST ASSURED I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU WHEN I AM AT PRAYER. GERARD.
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 pm

HI Bill,

I am truly sorry to hear what you have been going through. I too am glad to see that your in good spirits considering what you have been going through.
Well, I will be telling my husband, Mike what happened to you. Mike has TYPE 2 DIABETES and he won't go see a doctor. Figures he can control it himself. NOT!! He can but when he is stressed he only eats more junk and it out of control all the time. Won't say more! Scares me! But MEN just won't listen. I hope this will open his eyes somewhat. My mom just started meds. Was told about a month ago she too has TYPE 2 DIABETES.

My prayers go out to you. Please know we all care here on the forum. We are all family, extended family. I wish we lived closer to you Pard.

Please keep in touch with us.......WE CARE!

Sandy

Cole Thornton

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks so much, guys. You folks are great. I really appreciate the sentiments. I am doing really well and making progress daily. Getting fully back into things and don't plan on "rolling over" for this at all. Will "keep on keeping on"!

Sandy!!! Tell your husband I am proof of what can happen when you try to blow this off. He sounds like ME and that just doesn't cut it. I found out the hard way---and HE doesn't have to!!!!! Tell him he NEEDS to play by the---necessary----rules and keep his "crayon coloring" INSIDE THE LINES on this, so to speak. I wish him well.

And Bless all of you and Happy Easter. Bill
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Cole, Thanks! I relayed what you to Mike.

I hope your getting stronger every day.

Pards, I see in the Movie Data Base that they have slated " The Lone Ranger" as a Action/ Adventure movie. That's right!!!!!! That is what they are saying. It does not say it's a Western. I don't even see the word!!

Filming locations are:
Albuquerque Studios - 5650 University Boulevard SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Creede, Colorado, USA
Alamosa, Colorado, USA
Puerco Valley, New Mexico, USA
Texas, USASo wondering why it's not a Western!!!!!

Sandy

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:40 pm

I guess they figure they'll get bigger box office calling it an action/adventure movie.
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 pm

I am guessing that is why they used Action/ Adventure as well.
If it were to say western, most would stay away. Only us true to the Genre would say yeahhhhhhhhh !

Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Howdy Pards!!

The Disney studios calling it an action/adventure film, makes me wonder if they know something we dont!!!!!!!!!! I'm witholding judgement as to it's genre, until I see what Johnny Depp has done to it!!
A bit of trivia about Creede Colorado. This is the town where Bob Ford was shotgunned in his own saloon, for having murdered Jesse James. It was reported that as he approached Bob Ford, he said" this is for Jesse" and let'im have both barrels. The fella that killed him was initially sent to prison, but after a petition was circulated, he was released!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am

Latest in the news:

Johnny Depp reveals origins of Tonto makeup from 'The Lone Ranger' -- EXCLUSIVE

by Anthony Breznican
Johnny Depp is no stranger to unfamiliar faces — but what exactly is the origin of his black-and-white painted warrior in The Lone Ranger?
The actor has a penchant for disappearing beneath heavy makeup and elaborate costumes in everything from Edward Scissorhands to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, and the upcoming vampire comedy-thriller Dark Shadows.

It was clear from this first photo of Depp and Armie Hammer, released from The Lone Ranger set last month, that Depp was sticking by his word to make this Tonto a radical departure from the Jay Silverheels performance on the 1950s era TV show.

While there has been wild speculation about where Depp took his visual cues (including a theory he was mimicking Marilyn Manson), Depp tells EW about how he actually developed the look, and we reveal the image that inspired him.

“I’d actually seen a painting by an artist named Kirby Sattler, and
looked at the face of this warrior and thought: That’s it,” Depp said in
a recent interview. “The stripes down the face and across the eyes … it
seemed to me like you could almost see the separate sections of the
individual, if you know what I mean.”

Well, not really … Separate sections of the individual?

Depp explained that the lines of paint on the Native American’s face
looked to him like a cross-section of the man’s emotional life. “There’s
this very wise quarter, a very tortured and hurt section, an angry and
rageful section, and a very understanding and unique side. I saw these
parts, almost like dissecting a brain, these slivers of the individual,”
he said.”That makeup inspired me.”

You can see more of Sattler’s work here: http://kirbysattler.sattlerartprint.com/

The
painting also provided inspiration for Tonto’s headdress. “It just so
happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior’s
head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top,” Depp said, which led
him to another eureka moment. “I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his
head. It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not
dead to him. It’s very much alive.”

The title of Sattler’s original work is “I Am Crow,” a reference to the Crow peoples
native to the northern part of the American Midwest. In the new film,
Tonto is technically a full-blooded Comanche, and Depp identifies in
real life as part Cherokee and Creek Indian, based on a Kentucky
great-grandmother’s ancestry, so the character is proving to be less
historically specific to one tribe than a blend of various cultures and
influences.

Sattler himself, who licensed the look of his painting to the
filmmakers, tells EW his work is a fusion of history and fiction. “The
portraits I paint are composites created from a variety of visual
references coupled with my imagination,” he says. “While being broadly
based in a historical context, my paintings are not intended to be
viewed as historically accurate. I used the combination of face paint
and headdress as an artistic expression to symbolize the subject’s
essence and his affinity to the Crow.”

The American Indian community has been divided over Depp’s Tonto. Leaders from the Navajo Nation visited the Monument Valley set and expressed support for Depp and the filmmakers, and Dana Lone Hill, a writer who identifies as part Lakota, penned an essay saying
she intended to give him the benefit of the doubt on adapting the
character, since Depp is known for his fanciful and exaggerated
performances.

In another column titled “Why Tonto Matters,”
Native Appropriations blogger Adrienne K. expressed the frustration
echoed by some other Native Americans over Depp’s characterization,
saying there are too few authentic portrayals of Native people in pop
culture to accept a highly fantasized version.

For his part, Depp has said his motivation
to play the character came from disliking how Tonto was relegated to
subservience in the old Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV series. While the look may not be historically authentic, Depp wants Tonto’s character to be honorable and self-reliant.

“The whole reason I wanted to play Tonto is to try to [mess] around
with the stereotype of the American Indian that has been laid out
through history, or the history of cinema at the very least — especially
Tonto as the sidekick, The Lone Ranger’s assistant,” Depp told EW. “As
you’ll see, it’s most definitely not that.”

The Lone Ranger, directed by the original Pirates of the Caribbean filmmaker Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, opens May 13, 2013.

Well Pards, now what are you thoughts about his latest reasoning for the new Tonto so to speak!

Input, Input!!

Sandy

Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am

I'm still undecided about this new Lone Ranger movie. I'll wait until I see the trailer for it to decide. But if it's anything like the BS Depp and Tim Burton did to Dark Shadows, it will definitely be no.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Howdy Sandy!!

The article pretty well nails Depp's penchant for using a lot of makeup in his costumes. I have to agree with Tinhorn about Depp's rendition of Dark Shadows and Barnabas Collins. It kinda made a mockery of the original t.v. series. Johnny Depp is a talented actor, make no mistake. His characters in From Hell, The Ninth Gate, and Sleepy Hollow are right on and brilliant, and his character of Jack Sparrow in The Pirates Of The Carribean films will keep you laughing, but sometimes, as in his remake of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Dark Shadows, he completely misses the mark and fools around with the character too much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Ah, the Johnny Depp / Tonto discussion keeps on keepin on. Last article I read about the Lone Ranger movie was a story about the filming crew being in Monument Valley and more specifically, at John Ford Point. Never realized Monument Valley was on the list of filming locations. Well, that's a plus to start with. Johnny Depp mentioned to a reporter how much fun he was having with the Tonto character. He did say that his portrayal is in the "Jack Sparrow" mode. Not sure that is a plus, but I guess that depends on the overall flavor of the film. Reported that Depp spent a lot of time visiting with the Navajos and they absolutely loved him. I'll put that on the plus side. Maybe Depp will wind up his career being thought of like Frank Sinatra at a microphone. You either love him, can't stand to listen to him but no matter, you can't forget him. With all the various publicity surrounding this film, both good and bad, I smell box office gold. I'll be the eternal optimist, thinking it will be entertaining rather than insulting. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I am going to definetly go see the Lone Ranger. When I do I am going to leave Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels outside the movie house doors and watch the Johnny Depp version as a, hopefully, entertaining western. This is what I did with Tombstone. I left reality of Wyatt Earp, Ike Clanton & company aside and just watched it as entertainment. Well, almost. I must confess I found myself getting angry and not liking the movie when I first saw it since they advertised it as fact and at the interpretation they gave Ike Clanton as a cowardly drunk....I almost felt like walking out. But when it came out on VHS I bought it and thought, forget what really happened on October 26, 1881 and why it happened, and just enjoy watching a western. And I enjoyed it. (Somehow My Darling Clementine & Gunfight at he OK Corral never bothered me, probably because I didn't know the real history when I first saw those). Soooooo, I have made up my mind to not repeat this mistake and will set all thoughts aside of the Lone Ranger & Tonto characters that I have loved since childhood, and give this movie a chance. Johnny Depp is a good actor, and if the Navajo's accpt him I reckon I have no room to complain. It can turn into a quite entertaining movie with an interesting interpretatation of these two characters. Not thinking of Jay Silverheels look, I find Depp's look as interesting. On another note, I do look forward to seeing Dark Shadows with Jim, Ray & Marilee when we visit in Utah in a couple of weeks. Not really being a fan of the original --- I did watch a few episodes but didn't want to get stuck watching it every day --- I will be seeing it as a new movie, not revisiting old friends from yesteryear.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 am

I think you're right, Tom. It's best to go and see it with an open mind. Johnny Depp is an intelligent actor (I don't really know the other lead, although I did see him in The Social Network), and I don't think he would be involved if it didn't have a good screenplay. The fact that they're filming it in Monument Valley is a big plus. I think we have to be careful as we get older to view these Western folk heroes in a modern sense. For us, The Lone Ranger and Tonto were very much 1950s icons, if they had appeared in the 70s their hair would have been longer, they wouldn't have looked so clean-cut, and Tonto probably would have been a little more bizarre. Today, I guess we have to accept them with three-day beard growths, gym bodies, and overly PC attitudes.

I didn't see the movie of The Lone Ranger when it came out in the (was it) 80s? I know that it bombed, but can anyone tell me why? Was it an awful film, or what?

Iain

Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:26 pm

I saw the 1980's Lone Ranger and although it bombed and said to be terrible, I didn't see it as all that bad. The guy who played the Lone Ranger was a terrible actor, but they had Jason Robards Jr. & John Pickard in it so that made up for it. I found it to be an entertaining western, and, as I stated above with the new version, you just gotta leave Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels outside. Just like the 2nd or 3rd season of the original TV series, Clayton was missing due to contractual issues, and John Hart stepped in. I liked Clayton better in the role, but as a kid I still watched it each week and got used to Hart. Just like Gunsmoke, folks like Denver Pyle and John Pickard were in the running for Matt Dillon, and they are both very good actors, but it would be hard to think of anyone but Jim Arness in the role. But if Pyle or Pickard had gotten the part I am sure they would have done good with it.
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

To read the latest update on "The Lone Ranger," log onto www.henryswesternroundup.blogspot.com/ Not only fun to read the latest on "The Lone Ranger," but this website appears to have a lot of fun stuff to read. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Bill, I like Henry's Western Roundup. It's updated once a week, usually Sunday night or Monday, and always an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   

Back to top Go down

Lone Ranger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next