Share | 

Lone Ranger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Lone Ranger   Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just read that the new Lone Ranger movie will commence filming in February of 2012 and be released in May of 2013. Johnny Depp and others have reduced their salaries to make this film change from an on again, off again project to a full blown "on again" project. New Mexico will be the first filming location. Unknown what else is planned at this time. Depp indicates that the character of Tonto will not be portrayed as a second class person and looks forward to what he thinks will be a fun movie. Guess all of that remains to be seen and hopefully the finished product won't be something to make most or all of us groan. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh....My....God.....Sad
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey guys and gals, here's something to see and maybe something you don't want to see - www.stuffwelike.com/2012/03/08/the-lone-ranger-first-image This picture alone tells me this will be a tough sell. Johnny Depp's popularity might be the bail out for this high $$$ production. I can only hope the movie will be better than what the photo seems to imply. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Stagecoach

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 pm

The Crow must go or I won't go.
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm a fan of Wild West magazine, one of the best historical publications you find. I've read a lot of issues over the past 20 or so, I've seen many photos of American Indians of various tribes, and I have never.....and I mean NEVER....seen a photo of an Indian with a dead crow on his head! But remember, folks:

image upload
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

The guy who made the above cartoon is Marty Two Bulls. He's an Oglala Lakota.

www.m2bulls.com
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 am

Pards,

I have tried putting this picture on at least 5 times tonight. Hopefully this time it works.......here's why I want you to see it"

I found this picture by accident late today. Do you think Tonto is portraying this Indian by chance.

What are your thoughts!

Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:22 am

Howdy Sandy!!

Great picture, pard!! If memory serves, the Shaman was the medicine man or spiritual advisor to the chief. Often consulted in decisions about when to fight. I have no problems with a Shaman having a trained crow, any more than I have with a sea captain having a trained parrot on his shoulder, but I don't ever recollect anything about Tonto being a Shaman. Tonto always dressed as a single feathered Indian brave, with very fancy buckskins. Which begs the question, why would someone as important to the tribe as their Shaman, be riding with a white man??????????? Did he get kicked out of the tribe for being a quack????? Did he get his whole tribe massacred because of a bad decision about when and where to fight????? Where is this maniac, Johnny Depp, going with this??????? I must admit, I loved the Pirates Of The Caribbean films and the free spirited character of Jack Sparrow, but P-U-L-E-E-Z-E don't let him do this to Tonto!!

Ed

Last edited by Chain Lightning on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 am

Hi Ed,

I have no idea what this new Lone Ranger will be like. We just have to
wait and see. Maybe it will be nothing like the " Lone Ranger" we know
as kids.
Johnny Depp didn't create the character/image of Tonto. He just played the part. Why they dressed him to look like this Shaman, I have no idea.

Guess time will tell. It may be a great movie.

bronco

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

Hi,

I know they'll probably take liberties with the Lone Ranger character and they certainly have with Tonto but they seem to be getting a good supporting cast together and I really hope it's an enjoyable film. When it comes right down to it all we can ask for is entertainment.
As the old saying goes don't knock it till you've tried it. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 am

bronco wrote:
Hi,

I know they'll probably take liberties with the Lone Ranger character and they certainly have with Tonto but they seem to be getting a good supporting cast together and I really hope it's an enjoyable film. When it comes right down to it all we can ask for is entertainment.
As the old saying goes don't knock it till you've tried it. Bronc.

Bronco, I couldn't agree with you more.
Do we want everything to be the same! I've been thinking about it since I first saw the first picture brought out yesterday for the new movie and at first I thought how ridiculous Tonto looked. Then when I was the other picture last night, it sort of changed my mind. I for one won't know it till I tried seeing it..........
Good words there Bronco!

Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:27 am

Somehow a post I submitted moments ago got lost somewhere in cyberspace. After seeing the picture Sandie posted, I was happy that perhaps the shock of seeing the picture of Johnny Depp might have been cushioned a little. My thoughts are simply, Johnny Depp didn't write the script, he didn't involve himself with costuming. He was hired to play Tonto. If he has any input as to the story line or anything else, it could be attributed to his good relationship with the Director. Johnny's 48 years of age and I think his body of work deserves two thumbs up, since he has played such a vast variety of roles. I wouldn't put him in the same class with Paul Newman, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper or some other greats, but I think he's earned his praise. I'll wait until I see the Lone Ranger and then hopefully be able to remain with two thumbs up for Depp. He may be a bit quirky, but as I've said before, he marches to his own drum beat and is "fan friendly" versus the usual snob personality of someone like Baldwin or Sheen. Another thought, the casting of Johnny Depp may have something to do with the fact that kids today haven't got a clue about the Lone Ranger or Tonto. Depp is box office gold. He'll sell tickets and the young people will be pouring into the theaters unless pre-release publicity totally destroys this movie. I'll pass judgement after the fact and hope this is a success and stirs up more interest in making westerns. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Folks, you may be right!! I may have jumped the gun a little on Johnny Depp's appearance. Depp IS an accomplished actor, with many roles and film successes under his belt. He has the ability to make this film a hit. As with most things, we'll just have to wait for the finished product to make an intelligent decision. LORD hope, he don't go crazy on this'un!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm

True....Depp is an accomplished actor....but most of his charactors are very quirky to say the least....It has also been rumored that Tonto will be the brains behind the pair....that may or may not be the case....but...since the film is for the lack of better words...Pirates of the West...with the Depp and crew for the Pirates movie heading this up it could be true.

I have no problem with both Tonto and the Ranger being equal. They both wanted the same thing. Law and Order brought to the people of the west.

I just hope and pray that they do justice these charactors...they could be very good role models to young kids that have no idea who they are....granted they are not real people but the values that they stand for are.

Young people today should get most of their values from their own family....but just read the paper or watch the news and look at some of those families....

Even those that have good families are still bombarded by negative ideas or practices...in video games....music....and the medium we discuss here T.V. and movies.

What happened to the good guy in the white hat?

Why doesn't he show up anymore?

Don't we all want people to stand for something good or decent?

As a kid my Mom and Dad where great parents...they taught me what was right and wrong and to be a stand up guy for myself and those that could not and to be a friend to those that needed one.....

IMO the world would be a better place if the good guys where brought back to the forefront of the entertainment world.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto where a team....the Ranger owned his life to Tonto for saving him...that sorta created a bond between them.....I always felt that they would have given up their own life to save the other.
Back to top Go down
Stagecoach

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

I agree with Rocky. My only problem with Tonto's costume is with the Crow. It is just a bit over the top for me (no pun intended). Yes long live the "White Hats" in entertainment.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger. And I am glad that William Fichter, a very fine actor, is included in the cast. Thinking it will be abother big hit like True Grit was, and that can't hurt the western genre at all.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Here, Here, Rocky Lane!! 3 cheers for the white hats and for what they stood for!!!!!! For the things they taught generations of children from the 1920's through the 1960's. I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 am

Tom, at $215 million dollars, it's going to take a lot for this movie to be a success equal to True Grit. According to the original concept of Tonto, he was saved as the last of his tribe by a young Reid, which is how he came to bring him back to health after the massacre of the other rangers. Look, I like JD as much as anyone but we're in tricky waters here. Maybe that image wasn't the perfect one to present first.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:05 am

The problem with a 215 million dollar price tag is that if it is to recoup its money it won't be able to do it as a normal Western. Very few Westerns in movie history have ever made that much, far less cost that much. True Grit made 137 million in the US and probably another 100 million internationally. Movie companies don't make as much internationally owing to outgoing expenditures, commissions etc.

If you look at the movies these days that make 200 million at the box office they tend to fit into a particular mode, are pitched at teenagers and young adults, and are generally "dumbed down" accordingly. The Lone Ranger will, sadly, have to be this way if it is costing 215 million to make.

As much as it hurts me to say, this does look like a movie intended to capitalise on Depp's Pirates image, because this is what the masses want. The first Pirates film was original and excellent, the sequels IMO were awful, but they made big money. But, if you take the Jack Sparrow image away from Depp his box office attraction dips considerably.

Add to all this the fact that producer Jerry Buckheimer's name has been attached to The Lone Ranger, and the chances of a quality Western coming out of all this look extremely poor.

iain
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin

PostSubject: agreement   Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Pards,
I agree with everything that,s been said,especially about Johnny Depp,he is a very good actor,been in some very good films,and he will SELL The Lone Ranger,however,one of the Pards mentioned that this generation wont have a clue who The Lone Ranger was,I totally agree,and that,s why Depp is on board,imo,he will SELL.
Pards,we will just have to wait and see,I was critical of the True Grit remake,but I was wrong,time and blu-ray proved me wrong,kinda like 3.10 to Yuma,I actually like this remake now,and lets not forget WE are the oldtimers now,there is no way that this generation will have the same respect/regard/LOVE for The Lone Ranger,as WE had.
I also agree with Tom,William Fichter is a very good character actor,he,s been in a few,one of those actors who you recognise but cant put a name to.
At least The Lone Ranger will be a western,there,s more old classics being released to blu-ray,so there still is a market out there,hopefully "somebody" will hit the target and make an excellent,ORIGINAL,western,in saying that,I did enjoy Blackthorn,Sam Shepherd,but I,m supposed to,I,m a westernnut,ha!
Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am

Film and TV producer Jerry Bruckheimer recently tweeted the first production still from the upcoming remake of “The Lone Ranger” and Johnny Depps’ Tonto costume has really got people talking.

He’s got crazy war paint and what looks like a crow sitting on his head. Let’s just say, this ain’t your granny’s Tonto. So, we asked Mr. Bruckheimer is that really a crow? And did Johnny design the costume himself?

“It is a crow, and it’s something that Johnny researched. So he worked out the warpaint, and everything else with his makeup artist, and the two of them came up with this amazing creation of Tonto,” he explained.

This was on Ryan Seacrest's web page...
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Posted at 01:18 PM ET, 03/08/2012
‘The Lone Ranger’ photo: Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer ride again

By Sarah Anne Hughes

From the Twitter account of super producer Jerry Bruckheimer comes this first look at Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp in “The Lone Ranger.”
(Peter Mountain/Disney)

The Gore Verbinski-directed film is under production in New Mexico and slated for release in May 2013.

In the photo, Hammer dons a sleeker look than the Lone Ranger portrayed by Clayton Moore on the 1950s/’60s TV series. Celebritology’s Jen Chaney described his look as “the Lone Ranger in an issue of GQ,” which is both hilarious and accurate.

With his face painted white and a stuffed crow on his head, Depp's Tonto get-up is certainly more over-the-top than Jay Silverheels’s. Verbinski told the Los Angeles Times the character will not be played “straight,” but rather as a narrator “who might be a little crazy — but somehow the question is, is he crazy or is the world crazy? That, I find fascinating.”

Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels in “The Lone Ranger.” (STR - REUTERS) Depp, for his part, has expressed plans to make Tonto the film’s central figure. He told Entertainment Weekly :

“I remember watching [the TV series] as a kid . . . and going: ‘Why is the [expletive] Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do? ... When the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to — eliminate isn’t possible — but reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in ‘The Lone Ranger,’ but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head.”
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Howdy Pards!!

So, now we got the Lone Ranger in a 3 piece suit and Tonto in some sorta costume straight outta sumbuddy's nightmare. Well, I can see most folks in the old west being a little skeptical about a well dressed person with a mask , but whut would they think, if they met the new Tonto?? Sumbuddy give me a break here!! If I was transported back to the old west and some sucker showed up dressed like that, I'd empty both barrels of the ole scattergun into him, afore he could blink!! Gee-My-O-Nellie, he looks like the most blood thirsty savage I ever saw. It is obvious that Johnny Depp means to portray Tonto as a Shaman!! Whut with Commanche, Cheyenne, Apache, Nez Pearce, Sioux, Yaqui and every other Indian tribe attacking the frontier settlers, killing, burning and stealing their children, I find it hard to believe, that any of them would have let an Indian dressed like that within rifle range!! As I recollect, Tonto talked with Sherriffs, Marshalls, and townsfolk in the old series. I guess somehow, we're supposed to believe that ignorant and fearful settlers would just run outta their homes and embrace an Indian dressed like that, huh?? I don't know bout y'all, but I wouldn't let an Indian dressed like that git too close to me today!!!!!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Manco

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 pm

The new Tonto character's look is based upon this painting called "The Crow" by Kirby Sattler.
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 am

Good find there Mango. I haven't had time to try and find out more the past couple of days. I did just see this so here we go, more about this American Indian called Crow-Head

Crow-Head

A Chipewyan Story

Soon
After Crow-Head's birth, his father died. Crow-Head knew nothing about him. Once
the other Indians were fishing, and there were several medicine men among them.
It was in the evening, and the setting sun presented a bloodshot appearance.

One medicine man pointed at it and asked the boy, "Do you see that red sky? That
is your father's blood."

This made Crow-head suspect that one of the medicine men had killed his father.
He went home, where he was living with his grandmother, and began to cry.

"Why are you crying?," grandmother asked.

"I heard those men talking about my father," said Crow-Head.

"There is no use crying, you will be a man some day," grandmother
consoled.

The next day the people were fishing. Crow-head punched a hole in the ice and
began angling with a hook. The Indians caught nothing, only Crow-head caught a
large trout. He pulled out its soft parts, and hid the bones under his deerskin
capote. He started towards the medicine man who had killed his father, pulled
out the fish spine, and broke it over him. When the people went home that
evening, they missed the medicine man. They did not know what was the matter
with him. One man went out and found him lying dead by his fishing rod. This was
the first time Crow-head ever killed anyone. By breaking the fish spine, he had
broken that of his enemy and thus killed him.

As a grown man, a little orphan boy lived with Crow-head and he called his
grandson. He used to wear a crow-skin cape, which warned him of the approach of
enemies and constituted his medicine. Two girls in the camp once made fun of his
crow-skin garment.

Crow-head was displeased and said to his grandson, "We will make a birch bark
canoe and leave."

In a coulee they found fine birch bark. Some Indians from the rocks on either
side pelted them with snowballs.

"Some bad Indians are pelting us with snow," said the orphan.

"That's nothing," replied Crow-head.

They took the bark for the canoe and returned. In the meantime the bad Indians,
who were Cree, had killed all the Chipewyan. Crow-head piled all the corpses
together in a heap. He was a great medicine man. He began to make a canoe. Worms
began to come to the corpses. Then he took his crow-skin, laid it on the dead
bodies, and told the boy not to wake him until the next day at noon. While he
was sleeping, worms crawled into his nose, ears, and mouth.

Crow-head woke up and started off in his canoe. In the Barren Grounds he made
many small lodges, and with his medicine declared that all the dead should be in
those lodges. He left and lay down on the worms. The people all came to life
again, and nothing remained in place of their corpses save then- rotten
garments.

The Cree started homewards, but Crow-head, lying on the maggots, caused them by
his magic to return to the same place. The little boy cried, thinking his
grandfather was dead. He pushed the old man, but Crow-head pretended to be dead.
At last, the boy pulled him by his beard, then Crow-head awoke and beheld the
Cree. The Cree was surprised to get back to their starting point and, seeing the
two survivors, decided to kill them also. Crow-head rose, walked to the river,
shaved off the bark of a rotten birch, made peep-holes in the tree, hid the boy
in the hollow, and ordered him to watch.

Crow-head was a dwarf. He went to the river with the crow-skin on his back and a
blanket over it, pretending to mourn his lost relatives.

The Cree, thinking he was but a child, said, "There is no use killing a child
like that with a pointed arrow."

So they shot at him with blunt points, but all the arrows grazed off. Then they
pulled ashore, and Crow-Head fled to the brush, pursued by the enemy. When far
from the canoes, he threw off his blanket, took a deer horn which he carried for
a weapon, and ran among the enemy, breaking each man's right arm and left leg.

Then they said, "This is Crow-head."

They retreated towards their canoes, but Crow-head smashed every one of them.
Then he summoned his grandson from his hiding place. The Cree had spears, and
Crow-head told the boy to take them and kill their enemies. The boy did as he
was bidden.

The Cree said to the boy, "If it were only you, you could not do this to us."
And they made a "crooked finger" at him.

Crow-head left his grandson. He was gone for many days. The boy cried, not
knowing what was the matter. Up the river he heard waves beating against the
bank. Going thither, he found his grandfather washing himself.

Crow-head asked the boy, "What are you crying for?"

"I thought you were lost," said the boy.

"There is no use crying, all our people are alive again," said Crow-head.

They started to join the resuscitated Indians. They heard some one playing ball,
laughing and singing. Putting ashore, they heard the noise of crying. They went
into a lodge and asked what the crying was about.

"Two friends of ours are lost, they have been killed by the Cree."

Then they recognized Crow-head and his grandson. The two girls who made
fun of Crow-head's crow-skin were not restored to life by him.

Late in the fall, when the Chipewyan were going to a lake to fish and it was
commencing to freeze, two boys came running and told the people that two giants
taller than pine trees had killed all their friends. The Chipewyan were camping
on the edge of a big lake. None of them slept that night for fear of the giants.
The next morning the giants were seen approaching.

Crow-head said, "There is no use in running away, they will kill me first."

He put on his crow-skin and went towards them on the ice. The first giant wished
to seize him, and with long fingers shaped like bear claws he tore Crow-head's
crow feathers. The giants fought for the possession of Crow-head, each wishing
to eat him up. Crow-head hit both of them with his deer horn, and killed them.
He walked homeward. He was so angry that he could neither speak nor sleep. His
eyes were like fire. He went to the lake and, beginning at one point, he
commenced to hammer along the edge until he got back to his starting place.
There he fell dead, for his heart was under the nail of his little finger and by
hammering the ice he had injured it.

Taken from American Museum of Natural History, Anthropological
Papers, Volume X, pages 175-177

~Submitted by Blue Panther Keeper of Stories

tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Interesting story.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Howdy Pards!!

Sounds like whoever made that story up had been imbibing in quite a bit of OLD CROW!!
Which reminds me of a joke!! Sumpthin about the English translation of Kemo Sabay. I believe it means Crawlin Drunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Has anyone purchased The Lone Ranger DVD set that has all of season one and season two episodes? I believe it is 13 DVD's plus a few bonus items in the mix. Currently on Amazon for $19.99 and I believe when first released a couple of years ago, the price was much higher. The reviews posted on Amazon are all over the map, mostly favorable. Anyone here own this set and have a review to submit as to audio/visual quality and whether in their opinion episodes are complete and uncut? Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
bronco

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Bullfrog,
I have the Lone Ranger DVD set and i'm really pleased with it. The picture quality is excellent and I don't think they're cut down. You also get an 88 page book, rare comic book and photo reprints and a season 1 and 2 episode guide. All in all a real quality DVD set. Bronc.
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Bronco: Thanks for the info. Sounds like a winner and will add to my next Amazon order. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   

Back to top Go down

Lone Ranger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next