Share | 

Lone Ranger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Lone Ranger   Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just read that the new Lone Ranger movie will commence filming in February of 2012 and be released in May of 2013. Johnny Depp and others have reduced their salaries to make this film change from an on again, off again project to a full blown "on again" project. New Mexico will be the first filming location. Unknown what else is planned at this time. Depp indicates that the character of Tonto will not be portrayed as a second class person and looks forward to what he thinks will be a fun movie. Guess all of that remains to be seen and hopefully the finished product won't be something to make most or all of us groan. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I am going to definetly go see the Lone Ranger. When I do I am going to leave Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels outside the movie house doors and watch the Johnny Depp version as a, hopefully, entertaining western. This is what I did with Tombstone. I left reality of Wyatt Earp, Ike Clanton & company aside and just watched it as entertainment. Well, almost. I must confess I found myself getting angry and not liking the movie when I first saw it since they advertised it as fact and at the interpretation they gave Ike Clanton as a cowardly drunk....I almost felt like walking out. But when it came out on VHS I bought it and thought, forget what really happened on October 26, 1881 and why it happened, and just enjoy watching a western. And I enjoyed it. (Somehow My Darling Clementine & Gunfight at he OK Corral never bothered me, probably because I didn't know the real history when I first saw those). Soooooo, I have made up my mind to not repeat this mistake and will set all thoughts aside of the Lone Ranger & Tonto characters that I have loved since childhood, and give this movie a chance. Johnny Depp is a good actor, and if the Navajo's accpt him I reckon I have no room to complain. It can turn into a quite entertaining movie with an interesting interpretatation of these two characters. Not thinking of Jay Silverheels look, I find Depp's look as interesting. On another note, I do look forward to seeing Dark Shadows with Jim, Ray & Marilee when we visit in Utah in a couple of weeks. Not really being a fan of the original --- I did watch a few episodes but didn't want to get stuck watching it every day --- I will be seeing it as a new movie, not revisiting old friends from yesteryear.
Back to top Go down
iain
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 am

I think you're right, Tom. It's best to go and see it with an open mind. Johnny Depp is an intelligent actor (I don't really know the other lead, although I did see him in The Social Network), and I don't think he would be involved if it didn't have a good screenplay. The fact that they're filming it in Monument Valley is a big plus. I think we have to be careful as we get older to view these Western folk heroes in a modern sense. For us, The Lone Ranger and Tonto were very much 1950s icons, if they had appeared in the 70s their hair would have been longer, they wouldn't have looked so clean-cut, and Tonto probably would have been a little more bizarre. Today, I guess we have to accept them with three-day beard growths, gym bodies, and overly PC attitudes.

I didn't see the movie of The Lone Ranger when it came out in the (was it) 80s? I know that it bombed, but can anyone tell me why? Was it an awful film, or what?

Iain

Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:26 pm

I saw the 1980's Lone Ranger and although it bombed and said to be terrible, I didn't see it as all that bad. The guy who played the Lone Ranger was a terrible actor, but they had Jason Robards Jr. & John Pickard in it so that made up for it. I found it to be an entertaining western, and, as I stated above with the new version, you just gotta leave Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels outside. Just like the 2nd or 3rd season of the original TV series, Clayton was missing due to contractual issues, and John Hart stepped in. I liked Clayton better in the role, but as a kid I still watched it each week and got used to Hart. Just like Gunsmoke, folks like Denver Pyle and John Pickard were in the running for Matt Dillon, and they are both very good actors, but it would be hard to think of anyone but Jim Arness in the role. But if Pyle or Pickard had gotten the part I am sure they would have done good with it.
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

To read the latest update on "The Lone Ranger," log onto www.henryswesternroundup.blogspot.com/ Not only fun to read the latest on "The Lone Ranger," but this website appears to have a lot of fun stuff to read. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Tinhorn

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Bill, I like Henry's Western Roundup. It's updated once a week, usually Sunday night or Monday, and always an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: New Lone Ranger - Set in Colorado   Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Last edited by westerngal on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : One of the sets for the New " Lone Ranger".)
Back to top Go down
http://brokenarrowwestern.forumotions.net
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Another picture for the Lone Ranger set in Colorado
Thought you might like to view them. Thanks to " True West Magazine".

tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks, Sandy, for sharing those pictures.
Back to top Go down
VINCH

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Nice pics I look forward to seeing the completed project!!
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Sandy: Great photos and thank you for sharing. Those add to the anticipation factor for the movie. If all else fails, maybe the cinematography will be the saving factor. Just finished watching "Hi-Yo-Silver," the condensed version of the 1938 serial "The Lone Ranger." Decent audio and video quality, well above the "spanish sub-titled" print of the serial. Also watched several "Lone Ranger" items that were interesting. Cartoon, TV promos, couple of TV episodes, advertisements, trailers etc. I'm keeping my shooting fingers crossed that Johnny Depp doesn't undermine the whole proceedings and surprises us all with a great performance. Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
westerngal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello Pards,

I too was impressed by the scenery so here's hoping Tonto will not be a clown and do a terrific part for " The Lone Ranger". Seeing he is part Cherokee, wouldn't think he would want to embarrass his heritage. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one..........

The picture are much larger on facebook to view, but if I make them large then our forum pages gets all messed up.

Bullfrogb, so your watching the old Lone Rangers. It's been a long time since I saw any of them.

Sandy

Ray Goldrup

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 am

Thought I'd share/quote two other articles in a Western Clippings magazine I just received in the mail, kinda interesting. First one dealing with Hatfields & McCoys: “... The History Channel's Hatfields & McCoys on Memorial Day weekend broke all records as the most watched entertainment telecast in basic cable history. Part I drew a whopping 13.9 million viewers & the final segment bested that with 14.3 million. The mini-series did well in key demos also, drawing the largest adults [25-54] audience for basic cable [6.3 million] since 1998's Moby Dick. In adults 18-49 the average audience was 5.1 million on Part 3, beaten only by the finale of Grey's Anatomy among all scripted programs in May. Previous cable record holder was Crossfire Trail w/Tom Selleck on TNT in 2001 which drew 12.5 million. The mini-series will be released on DVD July 31. Meanwhile, the premiere of Longmire on A&E June 3, drew 4.1 million viewers—the most ever for an original series on A&E, making it the calendar year's most watched new scripted drama series on cable. Longmire viewers held up in week two with 4.1 million again, even gaining Young Adults. Both prove there is an audience for westerns.”

The 2nd article was Lone Ranger Update: “The Lone Ranger just can't seem to keep things on track. The project has had a notably bumpy ride through production, complete with production shutdowns, budget queries, stunt accidents & adjustments to the shooting schedule. Originally going to come out in December this year, it was pushed back to May 31, 2013. Now the film has been pushed back further to July 3, 2013 & is not only running weeks behind its 120-day shooting schedule, it's also over its revised budget. Several sources say the effects-heavy Lone Ranger is now back at its original cost of $250 million, while one source close to the production says it will surpass that figure. Meanwhile, rocker Jack White has been lassoed to write, produce & perform the film's score, his first film score chore. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer stated, 'We're thrilled to hear his fresh take on the William Tell Overture'...

As to Johnny Depp's garish makeup as Tonto, the star revealed, 'I'd seen a painting by artist Kirby Sattler ['I Am Crow'] & looked at the face of this warrior & thought: That's it. The stripes down the face & across the eyes; it seemed to me you could almost see the separate sections of the individual. There's this very wise quarter, a very tortured & hurt section, an angry & rageful section, & a very understanding & unique side. I saw these parts, almost like dissecting a brain, these slivers of the individual. That makeup inspired me.' The painting also inspired inspiration for Tonto's headdress. 'Sattler painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior's head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top,' Depp said, which led him to another eureka moment. 'I thought, Tonto's got a bird on his head. It's his spirit guide in a way. It's dead to others, but it's not dead to him. It's very much alive.' In the new film, Tonto is technically a full-blooded Comanche, & Depp identifies in real life as part Cherokee & Creek Indian, based on a Kentucky great-grandmother's ancestry. Depp says his motivation to play the character came from disliking how Tonto was relegated to subservience in the Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV series. While the look may not be historically authentic, Depp wants Tonto's character to be honorable & self-reliant. 'The whole reason I want to play Tonto is to try & mess around with the stereotype of the American Indian that's been laid out through the history of cinema.' “... Ray
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 am

In the original radio program, if I'm not mistaken, Tonto, like Chingachgook and Uncas, was the last of his tribe. I am afraid that Depp is taking himself too seriously and the filmmakers are out of control. Throwing money at a project doesn't necessarily make it good.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:44 pm

I read this online today....after a co-worker told me about it....

Plus the movie is back up to the original 250 million mark and it is well over the shooting dates....I think it has been pushed back until late next year now....

Actor Johnny Depp is struggling to master horse riding on the set of his latest film, The Lone Ranger but insiders say he has not yet got to grips with his animal co-star.

“It has become a problem for Johnny. He wants to do all his own stunts, but he’s been falling off his horse so often that producers worry he’s going to do permanently damage his tailbone,” contactmusic.com quoted a source as saying.

The 49-year-old is refusing to use a stuntman and is also growing increasingly frustrated as co-star Armie Hammer is a natural at horse riding.
“He sees Armie doing everything so easily, and that’s got him even more frustrated,” said the source.

Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh no, Tonto can't ride? You've got to be kidding me. The more I hear, the more I fear for this movie.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Howdy Nightlinger!!

Did'ja ever git the feelin that yuh knew more about sumpthin, than ya really wanted to?? Along with a sense of foreboding about this catastrophe,( looking for a place to happen), I'm beginning to wonder if Johnny Depp would be better off to remove the dead crow from his head and get back to the Black Pearl. I don't wanna see faithful Tonto, sittin backwards in the saddle, holdin on to the tail of a gallopin horse, with a dead crow on his head!!
This ain't lookin or soundin good, pard!!

Ed
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:33 am

I reckon I will still put down the $6 and see it when it comes out to help them garner back their 250 million. I'm just crazy enough to love westerns and will give it it's chance to entertain this old rustic mountain man.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 am

I don't get to the theater these days (cost, transportation, idiots in the audience, etc.) but I would give this a chance just like I did with The Legend of the Lone Ranger all those years ago but this just sounds like the film makers are out of control. CGI, I thought, was going to make the art of making films easier. It was the CGI that sent Cowboys and Aliens over the top budget wise.
Back to top Go down
tomgoldrup
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 pm

I liked the old special effects better than all this CGI stuff......I mean, some may think I'm crazy, but those old rocketships in the old Flash Gordon serials had more of a charm to me than those big space ships in Star Wars. That's just me. And in the old films when there was a big battle scene those were real people off in the background and not compurt generated fakes. I agree, Nightlinger, CGI very often gets in the way of story telling and drives the budget over the top. Like you, I make it to the movies hardly ever anymore.....the cost is prohibitive. And then if you want a bag of popcorn, forget it. I like watching them on my DVD player and if I want popcorn I stop by the dollar store and then plop a bag in my microwave. Only on rare occasions do I make it to the movies if there is something (like For Greater Glory or War Horse) that I want to see on the big screen.....and when I do go it is to the earliest matinee when the cost is lower and there are usually no more than ten or so people in the theater. Last time I went it was only Jim and I in the theater and so that was rnjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Interesting recent posts Nightlinger/Tom. Maybe the curiosity factor will help the box office receipts for "The Lone Ranger." If nothing else, the film is sure getting a lot of publicity, whether good or bad. The cost of going to the movies is really out of line. As the old saying goes: "You ain't seen nothing yet." I've become good friends with the manager of our local 4 screen cinema, which has auditorium capacity running from 100-200 seats. The recent lowering, yes, hard to believe, lowering of admission prices has boosted their business to the extint that the bottom line is larger. $6 admission after 6pm for adults, $4 admission before 6pm for everybody, $4 senior and kids all day and evening. Online coupon allows for Jumbo Tub of popcorn and 44oz drink for $5, both items large enough for two people to share. That's the good news. The bad news, at least for the wife and I, is to find something playing in any of the 4 auditoriums that isn't an insult to our sensibilities. The news gets worse. Coming soon, within 18-24 months, digital projection. No more film. That is the absolute death sentence for the approximately 400 drive-ins that still exist. It is close to an absolute death sentence for independant walk-in theater operators, i.e., my local cinema. Our local cinema is owned by a person who also owns two other theaters, one 2 screen and one 3 screen operation in the small city of Big Bear, CA. He told the manager of our local cinema that he "thinks" he has arranged financing to convert our local cinema to digital. He plans on only converting 3 of the 4 auditoriums because each auditorium conversion will cost between $50,000-80,000 dollars. No word on what he intends to do with his two theaters in Big Bear. Major studios will only help finance the cost of conversion for the big chain outfits which now charge anywhere from $8-14 admission. So, if my local cinema can indeed contend with the financial pain of this conversion, I'm told admission prices will increase 2-2 1/2 times their current levels. I would imagine the snack bar bargains will also be a thing of the past. It all sounds like my days of going to the movies are rapidly coming to an end. Glad I have a large DVD library and a popcorn popper that never fails me. Comparing the current and recent offerings at the local cinema, I'll side with Tom. Nothing like popping up the popcorn and sitting down in the comfort of your own home watching Flash Gordon and his wonderful little blimp/rocket or whatever powered by sparklers. That said, I'll pop for $4 to see "The Lone Ranger" if my local cinema is still in business when the film gets released. I also confess to running to the cinema upon the release of any new James Bond movie, even though the next one has him drinking beer instead of a "shaken, not stirred" martini. Is there no shame in Hollywood? Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Rocky Lane

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I for one would not mind paying the outragous prices of the tickets..IF and that is a big "if"....the movies where truly a spectacular thing to see on the big screen....Like the blockbusters of old...Where are the Ben-Hurs the Ten Commandments.....the Technicolor glories of yesterday?

What happened to good escapism?

Nowadays we get the CGI laden drivel and the re-makes of movies that should not be remade or junk that really should not be made.....

I had the displeasure of watch the 21 Jump Street movie the other night with my niece....she loved it and wanted my and Lisa to see it.......Wow....that is all I can say....
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Recently I read an article that said that the last movie where the effects made the audience go WOW was Jurassic Park. There are so many CGI effects out there that movies are no longer a special event. I used to like big movies on the big screen but I feel like I have paid for all the wiz bang I need at the theater. And with big screen TV and Blu-Ray I'm going to find it hard to drag myself to a theater, especially since the price of most BR is less than the price of a ticket.
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin

PostSubject: agreement   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Bill,
Excellent post Pard,it needed said,there is a diffirence in moviegoing nowadays,for all the reasons that you and Ron mentioned,PRICE/BEHAVIOUR most definitely spring to mind.
I really cant remember the last time Marie and I went to "the pictures",biggest reason why?exactly what Bill says,the absolute lack of GOOD film-making!!!!!!
honestly Pards,I watch some of the new films,dvd,and I just cant make any sense of it at all,WHO makes these "films"?????? and WHY??? is it such a diffirent audience Today?????
I,ve just remembered the last film Marie and I went to see,Rise of the Planet of the Apes,and we both thoroughly enjoyed it,BUT,the reason we went was because our Friends are pensioners,and there,s "a deal" on Wednesdays,so we got in for much cheaper than normal,sadly that,s the reason we went,PRICE,whereas,price never entered our heads when we used to go regularly,there were so much quality films being made,but now,sorry to my American Pards,here,it seems that every second film made in America is a "COMEDY",and the vast majority just aint funny,is it because of the young audience that these comedy,s are being churned out???
I,m not going to say anything about the new Lone Ranger,it,s probably too early to "imagine" things,although I do know where Tom,s coming from,it,s a WESTERN.
I,m gonna sound a bit pathetic here,oh for the old times!!!!
remember Pards,when our Mum,s were delighted to see us going to the matinee,and it was completely SAFE to do so,the ice cream/ice lollies,bearing in mind we,re talking working class here,our Parents weren,t making big bucks,but we could still go to "the pictures".
AYE,and this is what PROGRESS is all about,whoooaaaggghhh!!!!!!!
Davy,westernnut.
ps,SORRY for my "silence" these last few weeks,Euro 2012 Soccer Championship,then,Wimbeldon,I,ve a bit of catching up to do,ha!

Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey Davy, welcome back, Smile Smile Yea, the good old days of the "kiddie matinee." Wow, Mom & Dad could hire a babysitter from Noon until 4:30-5:00pm for 25 cents. Every kid was safe. Half the kids just didn't get a quarter for admission and another quarter for the snack bar. A quarter back then would get you a "box" of popcorn and a soda. Nope, parents would say, "Ya wanna go to the movies, better start mowing the lawn, raking leaves, find a neighbor who needs some yardwork, etc etc etc." The "kiddie matinee," cartoons, comedy short(s), serial chapter, previews and a double feature. C'mon Davy, mow your neighbors lawn and "let's all go to the lobby." Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin

PostSubject: matinee   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Bill,
Stop that Pard,I got a wee bit emotional reading your post,ha!
Seriously,those matinee days were so wonderful,so many memories,Swiss Family Robinson,and seeing The Duke for the first time on the BIG Screen in The Comancheros,jeez these feelings will never leave me.
I sincerely HOPE that our young audience of Today can look back in 50 years time and have the same wonderful memories of CINEMA as we do.
CHEERS Bill,
Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Davy, I'm watching Night of the Grizzly (see my other post). That cost about 75 cents at the theater and the drinks and popcorn was maybe another dollar. (Leo Gordon just showed up. Awsome!) Ah, the good old days. :-)
Back to top Go down
Bullfrogb

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Davy: Now don't get all emotional. Just be careful, the usher is walking down the aisle and you better get your feet off the seat in front of you. That'll get you "86'd" out of theater just like throwing your flattened popcorn box at the screen. We must behave. Smile Smile Bullfrog Bill
Back to top Go down
Nightlinger

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

I was six years old or so when a group of us went to see Shane. I went to the bathroom too many times, according to this 6 foot + usher, so he kicked me out of the theater. I stood outside crying until one of my parents friends drove by and saw me. They took me home and my Mom took me back to the theater. She found the usher and reamed him a new one. I got some more respect for Mom seeing this 5 foot tall woman break down this big 'man'. This to me is the type of thing missing today in life and movies. Humanity and the part of community that was so important to our parents. Night of the Grizzly so reminds me of those days when family meant something good.

Oh yeah, in the interview Clint Walker talks about how actor Mickey Simpson (from here in Rochester) was the man inside the bear suit.
Back to top Go down
westernnut
Admin

PostSubject: night of the grizzly   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Ron,
You have cracked it Pard,that wee post about Grizzly/Mum/Usher says it all!!!!!
COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!
Now,we all know we cant talk politics on our Forum,quite rightly so,but we can talk about a diffirent age/era,there,s no getting away from the fact that us "boomers" had a GREAT time growing up.
Now,I,m not getting "sentimental/slushy" here,of course everything wasn,t rosy/honeypie,but jeez we had a TIME!!!!!!!
Night of the Grizzly "captures" that time perfectly,it,s a good honest decent film,it,s not The Searchers,it,s pure entertainment,in every sense of these words.
Now,I have to ask,HOW would Night of the Grizzly be seen TODAY as a new release???????
It would probably be laughed at,and not in a nice way either,yet for us it,s a simple good story,great scenery,great cast,good performances,and,Clint Walker!!!!!if ever anyone personified HERO/GOOD/INTEGRITY/DECENCY it,s Clint Walker,aye I,m biased,what John Wayne was to me on the big screen is exactly what Clint Walker was on the small screen HONOUR/INTEGRITY/HERO.
Strangely these are words that aren,t used much Today,and we see very very few examples,well,I better stop there,gettin too near to the dreaded "politics"!!!!!
We can sit down and watch Night of the Grizzly right now,and thoroughly enjoy it,50 YEARS after it was made,how many of Today,s films can we say that about?????????
Aye Pards,you,re right,ha!westernnut is away on a sentimental trip AGAIN,rose-tinted glasses as usual,but it was Ron,s fault,he shouldn,t have written that great post Clint/Grizzly.
See Ron,the TROUBLE you get me into,ha!
as Bill/Cole says,LEST WE FORGET.
Davy,westernnut.
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Howdy Davy and Nightlinger!!

I suppose there are good things and bad things about any of the previous generations and most likely future generations. I , for one, am quick to point out things that seemed better about my generation to members of the younger generation. Like the movie theaters were much smaller then. They only seated about 100 or so folks back then and the seats weren't mounted on such a steep angle that you worried that if you fell out of your seat, the resulting fall would kill you. Course, if you set down behind a tall person or a lady with a hat, you had to learn to look between them, if you were a kid. I don't recall the volume blasting my eardrums, like it did, when I went to see the remake of True Grit. It actually sounded like someone was firing off live rounds in the theater, when Jeff Bridges shot his ole Colt S.A.A. Buttered popcorn and chocolate covered raisins were propably 5-10 cents per box and I don't recall being asked what size coke I wanted then. It was just a great big cup with a straw and it probably cost 5 cents in 1950. The first movies I saw were the original Frankenstein with Boris Karloff and Dracula with Bela Lugosi in 1950 and these films were made in the late 30's, SO there weren't as many films to watch back then, or maybe it was just Halloween. It's difficult to remember every little detail, when you're 5 years old. One thing that has changed, comes to mind and it happened in either Bessemer or Birmingham Alabama, when I was about 4 years old in 1949. My Mother and I were downtown shopping and I slipped away momentarily. When I looked up, she wasn't in sight. There was a Police Officer( a beat cop) in close proximity and either I saw him or he saw me and the situation was remedied in short order. This was his "beat" and he knew every merchant on the block that he walked daily, whacking the parking meters with his nightstick for the bad guys to hear and the merchants to know he was close. He carried an ole model 10 S&W .38 pistol, not the .45 auto or the .357 magnum or 18 round 9mm most cops carry today. There wasn't a squad car with a .30 caliber full auto or 12 gauge pump shotgun inside. Just HIM, the neighborhood beat cop, that everybody knew. NOT THE SQUAD CAR, marked To Protect And Serve, with a couple of guys inside you don't know and only see when they stop you and give you a ticket. He took his coffee breaks and his lunch there on the block he watched daily. He was one of the good guys and I miss that in towns today. He was a figure of authority, that stood for good, in his black or blue suit with his officers cap and his shiny Police badge. In our efforts to make things better, sometimes it seems we've lost the human touch. That close knit connection that makes us a better species.
Sorry about the reminiscing bout the good ole days, but it's all Nightlinger and Davy's fault.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lone Ranger   Today at 9:59 am

Back to top Go down

Lone Ranger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next